It was a good weekend at the box office, although I was a bit more optimistic than how the actual totals turned out. Regardless, the numbers were good enough to make it a successful weekend and the trend should continue next weekend.
1. Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted - The 3rd movie in the series performed a little below the 2nd ($63 million+), and far above the first ($47 million +). The film was a far improvement over the 2nd, and should show some legs with so little in the form of children’s films available.
Weekend Actual: $60,316,738
Filmgo.net Forecast: $68,000,000
Joe’s Prediction: $73,000,000
2. Prometheus – Ridley Scott’s 33 year return to the Alien universe was welcomed back with open arms. The film has received criticism for not being more closely affiliated with the original Alien, but the criticism doesn’t feel entirely warranted; it’s a science fiction, horror film and plays as such. Expect to see Prometheus hang around the top 10 for a number of weeks, because there’s nothing else of its kind showing.
Weekend Actual: $51,050,101
Filmgo.net Forecast: $50,000,000
Joe’s Prediction: $65,000,000
3. Snow White and the Huntsman – At just under $100 million in two weeks, the moderately successful film has been given the green light for a sequel. The good but not great film held up well during the week, but with the influx of anticipated summer movies coming out, it’s time spent in the top 5 will most likely be short lived.
Weekend Actual: $23,058,790
Filmgo.net Forecast: $25,900,000
Joe’s Prediction: $27,000,000
4. Men in Black III – It’s a shame when $135 million plus, over 3 weeks, is disappointing. It may be another 10 years before we see the Men in Black franchise rebooted.
Weekend Actual: $13,895,720
Filmgo.net Forecast: $13,500,000
Joe’s Prediction: $15,100,000
5. The Avengers - The chance remains that the film of the year makes it to $600 million total. The Dark Knight Rises, once thought to be the biggest film of the summer, has its work cut out.
Weekend Actual: $11,249,738
Filmgo.net Forecast: $10,700,000
Joe’s Prediction: $13,100,000
Next week’s new releases: Rock of Ages and That’s My Boy