1. Dr. Seuss‘ The Lorax - How appropriate that Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax is released on Dr. Seuss’ 108th birthday. Voice work is provided by Zac Efron, Ed Helms, Taylor Swift, Betty White and the great Danny DeVito as The Lorax. Expect a massive turn out.
My Prediction: $52,000,000
2. Project X – The next style of found footage films to come along, after recent hits Chronicle ($22,000,000) and The Devil Inside ($33,700,000). From Todd Phillips, director of Old School and The Hangover, comes this raunchy R-rated party film which should easily pull in the 18-30 crowd.
My Prediction: $24,000,000
3. Act of Valor - The Navy Seal film starring “real, active Navy Seals” was #1 at the box office its opening weekend. I’m expecting a big drop off this week, maybe even falling to the 5 spot.
My Prediction: $10,500,000
4. Journey 2: Mysterious Island - The movie has legs; what can I say. It’s going to take a hit with Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax being released, but with so little to offer in terms of family films, I expect it to hang around a little longer.
My Prediction: $7,500,000
5. Tyler Perry’s Good Deeds - The movie hasn’t been well received, AT ALL. I’m not confident that Safe House can do enough to maintain a top 5 position; however, based on the box office done during the week, there’s a very good chance it out performs Good Deeds this weekend.
My Prediction: $6,000,000